The information contained on this page is based on the Seventy-Fifth Diamond Jubilee book, The Art and Architecture of St. Augustine’s Church, written and edited by William C. McGuire II. The book was prepared in May 2003 in conjunction with the celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the dedication of St. Augustine’s Church. The principal photography is by William Irwin (www.IrwinPhoto.com). Many additional or unpublished photos are included in the following selections. Copies of the book at $10.00 per copy may be obtained by contacting the rectory (914) 834-1220.
On Pentecost Sunday, May 27, 1928 , His Eminence Patrick Cardinal Hayes dedicated the new St. Augustine’s Church in Larchmont. The new church replaced the church used by the parish on Beach Avenue. Read more information on the history of the Parish. The principal details of the church building are:
- Ground Broken: 1926.
- Cornerstone laid: October 1926
- Dedication: May 1928.
- Pastor: Rev. James A. Brady
- Architect: Thomas Dunn.
- Style: 16th Century English Country Gothic (or Perpendicular Gothic).
- Builder: Michael Hannan.
- Materials: New England ashlar granite, with gray stone predominate, limestone trim and mortar. Caen stone material in the lower part of the interior and some terra cotta detailing on the exterior.
- Dimensions: 152 feet long, by 60 feet wide, extending to 80 feet in the transept area. The tower, 75 feet. 63 feet to the apex of the copper sheathed roof.
- Stained Glass Windows: Emil Frei Art Glass Company of St. Louis and executed at their studio in Munich, Germany.
- Artist for windows: Rudolf Scheffler (1884-1973).
- Altars, Statues & Stations: DaPrato Statuary Company of Italy, Chicago & New York.
- Organ: Estey Organ Company of Brattleboro, Vermont- replaced by Kilgen Organ Company of St. Louis (some of the Estey pipework retained) and updated by Peragallo Pipe Organ Company of Paterson, N.J.
- Chimes: J.C. Deagan, Inc. of Chicago (replaced in 2001).
- Architectual woodwork: Langenbacher Company of Manhattan.
To view the church, please click on any of the photos below.
The windows of the church were produced by the Emil Frei Company of St. Louis in their studios in Munich , Germany. Emil Frei was born in Bavaria. In the early part of the twentieth century Frei was one of the more notable designers of stained glass windows. In 1904 he won the Grand Prize at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition for his work.
Frei commissioned the German American artist Rudolf Scheffler to create and design the windows. “Sheffler once had a considerable reputation in America and his native Germany, as an architectural muralist and craftsman.” He lived at times in Brooklyn Heights as well as among the impressionist artist communities in Old Lyme, Connecticut and Monhegan Island, Maine. In 1989 the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme Connecticut held a special exhibition of Scheffler’s works.
The windows over the altar and in the upper part of the nave are of a different design than those in the rest of the church. They primarily present elongated figures and “are of an exceptional richness of character and complexity.” The windows in the transept and lower nave are “a more common, purely representational and modern style.”
To view some of the windows of the church, please click on any of the photos below.